Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Soccer's Pro Arenas part 3 - Outside of Chicago


View from the pressbox
Originally uploaded by goldstone97

Leave it to Chicago to ironically name their soccer team after an actual historical event that killed many and destroyed a quarter of the city in 1871. I don't think that in my lifetime I will see the day when New Orleans names a team the Hurricanes or better yet the Katrinas.

Anyway, Toyota Park is not a small drive for anyone living downtown, but in 2006 the Fire moved from Soldiers field to their own home in the suburbs.

Toyota Park holds 20,000. I assume that every luxury box would have to be at capacity to reach that since one end of the stadium is mainly a McDonald's and only has a spattering of seats.

It is another nice place to watch soccer.

In a future set of posts I will get into the seating in these newer arenas. History and money have led to some interesting compromises for the fans badunkadunks. I know that all my European readers are wondering why we ever sit a soccer game, since many of their stadiums don't even have seats. Maybe we are lazy and rich and fat, and maybe it is just not as life-controlling for us to go to a soccer "match".

Toyota Park Stadium Rating: B

No comments: